Archive for February, 2007

First Rose Yarn :)

posted Friday, February 23rd, 2007

First yarn on the Rose :)

95g, 235yds, 9-10WPI 🙂 This was roving from handpaintedyarn.com that I gave up spinning (I had other colors of it – none of it drafts nicely) but I figured it would be good to try as I got used to the rose.. since I didn’t care of I screwed it up. It’s spun entirely woolen, from the fold, and It didn’t come out half bad… it will probably become a pair of longies or shorties for the new babe 😉

The only thing that the roving from HPY has going for it is that it’s really soft.. but I think they aren’t very careful with it as they are dyeing, because their roving tends to be semi-felted.



Aren’t they cute together?

posted Thursday, February 22nd, 2007

IMG_2050

There they are.. excuse the dirty floor and all the dust on the HH – I didn’t realize either was so bad until I took the picture! Guess I should sweep the corners more often 😆

(and yes I know I have the knob at the top of the Rose on backwards.. I’ll fix it later 😉 )



It’s here!!

posted Thursday, February 22nd, 2007

My Rose finally arrived!! I haven’t had much chance to play with it much yet, but I did get it put together, and oh my, it’s so QUIET!! Really the only thing you can hear when spinning is the sound of the bobbin against the scotch tension brake.

It’s going to take a little while to get used to it I think, as the spring clip in the flyer definately seems to have a bit of a learning curve (or rather, I seem to have a problem with forgetting to MOVE the thing, and estimating where to move it!) but other than that, it’s wonderful! Treadling is so smooth compared to my Ashford.. it’s amazing! 😛



Holy Moly!!

posted Wednesday, February 21st, 2007

So my wheel still didn’t show up today (*cry*) and I gave in and plied the Merino/Tussah I’ve been spinning on the Hitchhiker… and I not only managed to pack 112g of yarn on an ashford bobbin (no, not kidding!!), but it’s 515yds!!! Yikes, that was a bit more than I expected! 😳 To make it even scarier, there was only about 3 yards left over on the second bobbin when the first bobbin ran out! I don’t think I’ll ever manage to spin something quite that close again.. not at this yardage at least! Most of the time when I spin thicker yarns I ply from a center-pull ball so “leftover” singles are never an issue, but I read somewhere not to do that with silk, plus I didn’t actually think all of it would fit on one bobbin (ha!) so I split it up. It worked pretty well.. plying was easy off the two bobbins even though it took FOREVER on the HH’s relatively low 9:1 top ratio.

IMG_2044
So, the final yarn is 112g, 515yards, and 17WPI. It’s pretty much spot on what I wanted, maybe a hair finer, but that’s ok – I’m happy with it 😀

(picture is a little greener than the yarn really is)



No wheel, but my silk finally came!

posted Tuesday, February 20th, 2007

Yay.. I think I’m going to dye the silk, but not sure what colors I want to use yet.. I think I’ll dye some wool to match though.

Hopefully my wheel will be here tomorrow 🙁 I’m about 2/3 done with the second bobbin of the merino/tussah, but I really can’t ply it until my rose is here since it won’t all fit on one of those teeny ashford bobbins.